matching templates independent of namespaces

Subject: matching templates independent of namespaces
From: "Mack, Daniel" <d.mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:25:10 -0400
I'm writing some stylesheets to process xhtml documents and I'm running into
some issues with namespaces.  I'd like for the stylesheet templates to match
documents with namespace declarations in the general form of

while also matching documents that do not have an explicit namespace
declaration and simply use tags in the form <html>.

Right now, I'm only able to match the former with something like:

<xsl:stylesheet version = "1.0"
xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
<xsl:template match="xhtml:html">

and the latter with:

<xsl:template match="html">

Could someone please tell me the most efficient way to write templates that
match both cases?  I've played around with the local-name function, but
couldn't get it to work with apply/match template operations.  Thanks.

--Dan