Re: passing a parameter to select attribute of <xsl:sort>

Subject: Re: passing a parameter to select attribute of <xsl:sort>
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:34:50 +0100
Ryan and Nick,

Well, you could try the old hack:

  <xsl:apply-templates select="./listItem">
    <xsl:sort order="{$order}" select="*[local-name()=$orderingElement]"/>
  </xsl:apply-templates>

Nick's explanation is essentially correct (except the select attribute
doesn't take a pattern, it takes a string evaluated as an expression, not
quite the same thing). This solution (warning:untested) would get around it
by constructing such an expression that tests element names, as strings,
against the variable (rather than assuming the variable can be used to
select a node set relative to the context node, which it can't).

Hope this helps,
Wendell

At 10:06 PM 6/21/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Ryan, as I understand from the XSLT spec and Mike Kays book (p 119) you
cannot do all
>that you want to in one go. The select attribute cannot use an attribute
value template
>though the order attribute can. The reason being that select requires an
XPath pattern.