RE: Loading an external file of index

Subject: RE: Loading an external file of index
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:47:11 +0100
> What does means this "for-each" as soon as I use it only to
> load a document

<xsl:for-each> performs two functions: it iterates over a node-set, and it
changes the current node. It is often used (as in this example) for the
second purpose alone.

> Also, I'm a little bit curious on performances : for now the document
> database is not so heavy. But let suppose, later having a 10000 document
> database with something like 100 keyref in each document.

Parsing and loading 10000 documents is going to require a fast processor, a
large memory, and a lot of patience.

> Would an XSL transformer need to load the shared file 100 times per
> document ?

If you make several calls on document() with the same URI, the processor is
obliged to return the same document each time: in other words, it won't
reload it.

Mike Kay