Re: XSL vs. XSLT, different syntax? (Re: How to code XSL to display two XML elements side by side)

Subject: Re: XSL vs. XSLT, different syntax? (Re: How to code XSL to display two XML elements side by side)
From: Nick Browne <NickBrowne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:34:56 +0100
"Xu, Xiaocun" wrote:I noticed you were using a different namespace

> (http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform) than the one I was working with
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl).  Went there and realized that you are using
> XSLT instead of XSL.

See http://www.jclark.com/xml/ for a description of namespace usage.

The early XSL drafts consisted of two main areas of focus, formatting objects
and transformations. The transformation language was separated out into it's
own specification leaving XSL to refer to the formatting objects spec (FO).
The example was using XSLT since it was just re-structuring the XML data, the
fact that HTML was created was incidental. My understanding is that you would
only use FO tags when producing documents for publishing purposes, web
browsers would not recognise them.

> I am new at XSL and never used XSLT yet.  So my questions are:
> 1. I am converting a invoice-like XML into HTML, should I use XSL or XSLT?
> 2. In general, when to use XSL and when to use XSLT?
> 3. are the syntax similar just the names (such as value-of) changed?
> 4. where can I find an online tutorial on XSLT?

There were some postings later today pointing to tutorials or try the mulberry
site http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/index.html

Nick Browne
Slipstone Ltd