XSL Abbreviations

Subject: XSL Abbreviations
From: "Ben Pickering" <benjaminpickering@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 11:50:31 GMT
Hi

I have a really quick question. What is the abbreviated equivalent of:

../descendant-or-self::node()[generate-id(.) = $node]

The XPath docs say that '//' is equivalent to 'descendant-or-self::node()', but if I try

..//[generate-id(.) = $node]

I get an error, and

..//*[generate-id(.) = $node]

is nearly there, but produces a different effect. What do I use to replace the '*', as I don't want to select the children of '..'s descendants, I want the descendants themselves. '.' doesn't work.

It seems to be that '//' is equivalent to 'descendant::node()', ie, 'self' is not included. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Ben.