Re: Quantifying MSXML3 support for XSLT

Subject: Re: Quantifying MSXML3 support for XSLT
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:13:15 -0600 (MDT)
Joshua Allen wrote:
> With each release of the MSXML tool, we also provide
> a list of issues that we know to exist.  See
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/xml/general/msxml_buglist.asp
> for the latest.  It's not as pretty as the VBXML
> chart, but does contain relevant information.

Given the preponderance of XSL newbies whose first posts to this list
indicate that they are using the IE5/MSXML2.0 bundle and have *no* idea
that it is almost completely obsolete, and given the frustration and
sarcasm they elicit, I not-so-humbly suggest that you make a better effort
on the MSDN web site to inform them of their situation and to encourage
them to catch up with the rest of the XSLT development community.

Calling the latest releases "previews" only exacerbates this situation,
because, aside from dodging support issues, if you haven't officially
superseded the last major release, then you can't pack up the old
documentation and put it in a historical archive. So all these people are
left to think they should go on writing things like author[last-name $ige$
"M"], not using xsl:copy-of, xsl:output, xsl:param, xsl:include, named
templates, or pretty much every XPath function, etc., and wondering why
they don't see the results other people get when using different
namespaces or not explicitly writing the built-in templates,

   - Mike