Re: XSL rendering on IE 5

Subject: Re: XSL rendering on IE 5
From: Dan Morrison <dman@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 23:14:08 +1200
Abhishek Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote a style sheet and got perfect results with Xalan.
>
> Now I added the line
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="file:///c:/myStyle.xsl" ?>
> below my <?xml version='1.0' ?> line in my XML document.
>
> when i open the XML document in IE 5, it should do the rendering based on
> the style sheet. But the result is a complete garbled up rendering. So what
> went wrong? My Style sheet should be OK as it works perfectly with Xalan.

My first reaction is "Why use a file-system based reference to your
stylesheet?"
You didn't provide exactly this information to Xalan, so there's a
chance something got lost in the translation.

In preparation for deployment I'd be testing on either a webserver
environment, or at least giving the parser a RELATIVE path reference to
the file you're working on.
If IE5 is looking at G:\my\xml\test.xml and the reference in that file
is to file:///c:/myStyle.xsl - there's a chance for confusion on the
path interpretation. Granted, maybe there SHOULDN'T be, but it's the
first place I'd be looking for problems. Try a relative ref.

That said, you may well have come across a failing in one of the
unimplimented XSL directives, or your problem may be even stranger.
"A garbled up rendering" is a bit hard to figure what the problem you've
encountered actually is.

as for
> My Style sheet should be OK as it works perfectly with Xalan

... and my HTML page should be OK as it works perfectly with Netscape
4.7b. - therefore everyone else is rendering it brokenly.
:-[
Awareness of the quirks of available products out there is just par for
the course.
Find the limits, and steer within them,
... or choose to get cut by the bleeding edge.

Apologies for any bluntness, I'm just losing patience with the
MS-bashing I'm seeing on this list :-} . Note I started with a positive
suggestion and am calling for tolerance, not flames or accusations.

When someone identifies a perceived or possible bug with one of the
'other parsers', they frame it as a polite question, which is usually
responded to with a polite answer from one of the dev team - "yes, it
looks like a bug" or "no, it's supposed to be that way"

Whenever someone finds that MS doesn't do exactly what they wanted,
whether they were correct or not - it gets posted as yet another
inflamatory "MSXML is broken" rant.

Good luck finding the 'middle path'. It's a track we Web developers have
been steering for several years now, usually with much less acrimony.

.dan.

--
: Dan Morrison        : The Web Limited    :