Re: Creating a batch file or shell script / Inserting line breaks

Subject: Re: Creating a batch file or shell script / Inserting line breaks
From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 16:56:05 -0700
> Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:
> > Something is already wrong with Xalan (  or with the bugreport  ),
> > because bugreport  says that

> > That means Xalan's outputHandler for text is very different from
> > html. This is strange.
>
> If he said
>
>  <xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"/>

If he *does not* provide indent="yes".  I was of course
assuming that there is no 'indent'.

> then you're right, this is strange. One would assume that without
> indent="yes", no whitespace should be added, and we already know that the
> non-xsl:text whitespace is stripped from the stylesheet, so the elements
> should run right up against each other.
>
> Here's something interesting, though.. an oversight in the XSLT spec:
>
> "If the semantics of an attribute are not described for an output method,
> then it is not applicable to that output method."
>
> and guess what, the semantics of indent are not described for the html
> output method; only the xml output method. That said, the spec also says:

> "If an XSLT processor outputs the result tree, it should do so as
> specified by the xsl:output element; however, it is not required to do
> so."
>
> So Xalan, XT, Saxon, etc. are not overstepping any bounds by making up
> their own behavior for particular output methods.

... when indent is specified. If indent is *not* specified there should be
no difference in outputing

<xsl:text>
</xsl:text>

by HTML handler or Text handler or XML handler.

Rgds.Paul.

<xsl:stylesheet
        version="1.0">

<xsl:output method="text"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:value-of select="'AAA'"/>
<xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text> <!-- try removing this -->
<xsl:value-of select="'BBB'"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

BTW - if specifying