RE: Node-set vs. Result tree fragment

Subject: RE: Node-set vs. Result tree fragment
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:34:05 +0100
> > If I have a node-set, will I be able to access the children
> > of the nodes in that node-set?

Mike Brown:> No; not in pure XSLT. This is what the node-set extensions in
various
> implementations are for, though, as you guessed.

The way I read the question, the answer is yes. If you have a nodeset $ns,
you can access the children of the nodes in $ns by writing $ns/node() (or
$ns/* if you only want the element children, or $ns/para if you only want
the <para> element children, etc).

What you can do in an extension function depends on the implementation.
Certainly with Saxon, when you pass a node-set to an extension function
there are methods to navigate from any node to its children, siblings,
parent, etc.

The node-set() extension function is there to make result tree fragments
navigable in the same way that node-sets are.

Mike Kay