RE: Terminology

Subject: RE: Terminology
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:24:09 +0100
> To take a simple example, the word 'schema' -- I have an understanding of
> what this means in the context of XML, but it clearly also has a more
formal
> meaning, as it can be applied to database design as well.  So what's the
> definition of 'schema'?

A schema is essentially a data type, every database / document is an
instance of its schema, and the schema describes the set of all permitted
databases / documents.

> My question is, are there any books or online documents dealing with the
> theory of 'information stuctures'?  Some kind of description of the ways
in
> which information may be structured, and the advantages of doing it a
> particular way?

[MHK>]  Yes! Though most of the ones I know of are written in the "database"
context rather than the "document" context. Some are very academic /
mathematical / philophical, some more oriented to the practitioner  [MHK>]
One of the best in my view, but very hard to get now, is Bill Kent's "Data
and Reality"
Mike Kay