In Tears... (learning XPath)

Subject: In Tears... (learning XPath)
From: "Buss, Jason A" <jabuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:33:22 -0500
Hi everyone...

I am having quite a bit of trouble with XPath expressions.

I am building <xsl:value-of select=" "/> where the select value is text
"sect", a value taken from <xsl:variable name='sect1num'
select='./title[@id]'/>, and the ".htm" file extension.  (I am building an
href for an anchor in HTML).

someone suggested I use <xsl:attribute name='href'>(the value-of element
with concat expression)</xsl:attribute>

I cannot, for the life of me, get the expression syntax correct.

concat(sect1,$sect1num,.htm)... failed.
concat("sect1",$sect1num,".htm")... failed.
concat("sect1"$sect1num".htm")... failed.
concat(sect1{,$sect1num,.htm}*)... failed.
concat(sect1,$sect1num,.htm*)... failed.

I know this is a newbie question, but I am stuck here.
The XPath spec uses concat(expression1,expression2,expression3*) as the
example...
The SAXON documentation shows concat(expression1{,expression2}*)...

I can't get either to work.

I am using SAXON with XP.  This is being used with <saxon:output>

Thanks in advance...

Jason A. Buss
Single Engine Technical Publications
Cessna Aircraft Company
jabuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In 1992 the Web was a garden of personal home pages blooming with thoughts,
opinions, and life experiences. People were learning how to build their own
sites, experimenting with design, and sharing their voice with the world
while the business world scrambled for ways to "monetize" the internet and
capitalize on its fertility.
Then they paved it all and built a mall.               -Biz Stone