RE: Output to Frames using XSL

Subject: RE: Output to Frames using XSL
From: Charles Cantrell <chc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:57:57 -0500

	I'm afraid you will have very litte luck finding a solution of this
	kind; in fact, the W3 explicitly states in their HTML 4.01
	specification that "The contents of a frame must not be in the same
	document as the frame's definition."

However, that response does not quite address the situation I am attempting
to create. (At least, I hope it does not.) The content of the frame is not
in the the same document that is defining the frame. The content comes from
an XML file that specifies the stylesheet. The frameset definition is in the
stylesheet.

What I am trying to figure out is how to make refererence to the content in
the XML document from the "src" attribute of the frame element contained in
the stylesheet.

In other words, I want the stylesheet to transform the XML tags in the
content document to the HTML that would otherwise be the content of a
"hardcoded" file reference in the "src" attribute.

But, as I said before, I am not wedded to a frames approach. The true
objective is to create two, simultaneous presentations (in different
windows) of the same content. One window would present a kind of TOC (table
of contents) of the document, while the other would present the content
itself. The first window would have hyperlinks into the second window, that
would contain the targets of these links.

It seems like this ought to be something fairly normal to want to do.

Thanks for your help.

Charles Cantrell