RE: portability. (Re: microsoft latest, bug with extension elemen ts )?

Subject: RE: portability. (Re: microsoft latest, bug with extension elemen ts )?
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:23:33 +0100
> I know what you mean, but do you see a lot of evidence that the
> practice is so prevalent? Personally, I find it fairly easy to steer
> clear of temptation. And lets be clear that Mike Kay does not
> *promote* such a thing - so far as I can see, he simply finds it
> interesting to investigate and implement possible extensions to XSLT,
> and its a good service to the community to be able to play with them.

A reasonable analysis. Where users identify a limitation in XSLT, I like to
explore how that limitation might be lifted within the conformance rules,
but I'm well aware that this gives users a new problem of deciding whether
to exploit the extensions or stick within the standard. I like to think that
the primary purpose of the extensions is to explore ideas which if they
prove successful might make it into a future version of the standard, but
users should certainly be aware that if better ideas come along, I will
ditch them unceremoniously.

Mike Kay