Re: Saxon VS XT

Subject: Re: Saxon VS XT
From: David_Marston@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 17:08:09 -0400
Paul Tchistopolskii says:
>Sebastian, I apologize, but maybe you will provide me with
>some particular usecase which can not be done
>with current XT ( + Java )?

How about anything using the key() function?

>I think that I can do anything in XT + Java *and*  XT + Java
>solution will be faster than 'conformant' solution.

Aaah, now it all becomes clear. You're saying that if you
write all your own stylesheets, you can circumvent the missing
parts in XT. Then you go on to claim that the missing parts
won't stop you from generating the output you want. As noted
in another thread, you must be limiting your wants when it
comes to character encodings. Can (you + XT + Java) produce
anything *I* want, if I say I want Katakana?

My larger objection to what you say is that you are
foreclosing one of the benefits of standards: portability
of code, stylesheets in this case. If you wanted to grab
any pieces of XSLT code off The Net or whatever, that code
may be conformant but require features that XT doesn't
have. If you want to hire others to write XSLT code for
you, you have to teach them the limitations of XT, and
that will reduce their productivity. Any time there's
conformant example code being circulated, you have to
review it against the limitations before you can use it.
.................David Marston