Re: portability. (Re: microsoft latest, bug with extension elements )?

Subject: Re: portability. (Re: microsoft latest, bug with extension elements )?
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 22:49:46 +0100 (BST)
Paul Tchistopolskii writes:
 > How much XSLT engines  do we have? I think it is more
 > than 10 ( and I'm sure there will be more ).

 > Are you supporting all of them ?

If they are XSLT engines, its not a problem, is it? they'll all do
exactly the same thing with the same input.

 > This pre-processor could be a 'hardcore'  XSLT stylesheet.
 > Why should you explain ? Just add one more line to the
 > script.

what script? I dont have scripts.

 > > in my setup, the really vital extension is multiple output files (in
 > > HTML mode).
 >
 > Well - very bad. This is not a standard at all and it is
 > suspicious to write a  *portable*  stylesheet using
 > non-standard and for sure not portable extension
 > elements.

right. thats my compromise. and my defence is that it is explicitly
tagged as a likely addition in the appendix to XSLT, and explicitly
mentioned as a likely contender for XSLT 1.1.  I am gambling that it
will be standard in a year

 > Much better is to use redirects ( every OS allows > )
I dont see the relevance, to be honest

 > If you want to be portable, I think you should never
 > use those <xt:document and alikes.

no, I shouldn't. But I have to. it really isn't plausible to build a
real system without such a functionality.

 > > For the rest, I'll use node-set when it gets into
 > > XSLT formally, but otherwise not in public.
 >
 > Don't understand this.

my TEI stylesheets dont use node-set, but my stylesheets for
gravestones do. why? cos anyone can use my TEI ones, but no-one else
will ever see my gravestone ones

 > I don't know what is the name of this beast in SAXON , but I know
 > that porting something polluted with extension elements
 > is *much* harder than porting something polluted with extension
 > functions.

sorry, I don't see why its *much* harder. if I isolate my use of
saxon:output to one named template, its no big deal to maintain and
port that.

 > SAXON is MS of XSLT and I'm already having problems
 > with that.

but where is your evidence of the widespread use of Saxon?

Sebastian