Re: Saxon VS XT

Subject: Re: Saxon VS XT
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:57:29 +0100 (BST)
Paul Tchistopolskii writes:
 > I know about the key() ;-) I still want the *particular* usecase ;-)
 >
 > For example,  I'm not sure that I'l abuse some part of pipe
 > with constant sorting / grouping if I can avoid this in principle. ;-)

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/xsltest/test6.xsl is my simplistic
example. what's your alternate formulation?

 > Supporting output encodings other than UTF8 is easy with
 > UTF8 - to - some filter. If l have any need in such a functionality
 > I'l  grab one of the output handlers from 4xt.org and hack one
 > of them. Should take not longer than 5 days. Is it a big deal ?

Put like that, yes, it sounds a big deal, and well beyond my
capacities.

 > To me - yes. They are not useless when / if you try to save
 > performance trying to use 'plain XSLT for everything'

the use of keys for grouping/sorting is weird, but the concept of
lookup tables seems eminently sensible to me. what about, for example,
using a key table to build a back index of of links? so, if 5 elements
have an IDREF link to an element X, we could list those 5 elements
when we show X

 > On another hand  implementing 'too much of XSLT'
 > ( like SAXON does ) *also* provides some problems.

like what, exactly?

 > As I said in 4xt list - if somebody will really need key()
 > in XT - he'l implement that.

I was using XT; I read about key in the spec; I wanted key in XT; I
could not implement it; I switched to a processor that had it. Sounds
a more likely scenario to me

when it comes down to it, your real point seems to be that XT is
"elegant". its probably true. but I am not sure that many of us can be
bothered either way, its just one bit of software on the desk, and its
not worth making a fuss over. The `elegance' that makes a difference
to me is the XSLT language itself (thats what I actually see in my
emacs buffer), and while I can intellectually appreciate that XT may
be a marvel of engineering, it doesnt impact on me in my daily life.

sebastian