Re: Saxon VS XT

Subject: Re: Saxon VS XT
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:55:24 +0100 (BST)
 > > to me. what about, for example,
 > > using a key table to build a back index of of links? so, if 5 elements
 > > have an IDREF link to an element X, we could list those 5 elements
 > > when we show X
 >
 > Are you placing one-pass  as a hard requirment ?

Yes, unless very very pressed. You want me to use an intermediate
file? When the thing is possibly being rendered on the fly by IE5?

 > Do you  think 'key()'  is *that* critical, if the requirment
 > 'do it all by one and only one stylesheet' will be removed ?

no, but if I can formulate the solution in one stylesheet, it is
preferable.

 > >  > On another hand  implementing 'too much of XSLT'
 > >  > ( like SAXON does ) *also* provides some problems.
 > >
 > > like what, exactly?
 >
 > Like absolutely not portable 'XSLT stylesheets'.

but XT also has extensions, so why is Saxon worse? Because Mike has
gone into devilsworld with "evaluate"?

 > enjoy. If you think you can solve real-life tasks ( in some areas )
 > with 'plain XSLT' - god bless you.

of course, your "real life" very likely bears no relation to mine! to
me, `real life' is about producing pretty catalogues of gravestones

Sebastian