next element with xsl:sort

Subject: next element with xsl:sort
From: "Spychalski, Frank" <frank.spychalski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 02:14:54 +0200
->-----Original Message-----
->From: David Allouche [mailto:david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
->Subject: Re: unions, for-each, document order

->> really gets the gears movin'. Now to find out how to peek
->at the next
->> node which is about to be processed.
->
->Since XSLT is side-effect free, all iterations of a loop are
->conceptually done at the same time. So there no way of finding the
->node wich is about to be processed :-)

Hi,
in the XSLT docu it says:
>10.Sorting
>When a template is instantiated by xsl:apply-templates and xsl:for-each
>the current-node list list consists of the complete list of nodes being
>processed in sorted order.

shouldn't it be possible to access the next node (in sorted order) with the
following:: axis? I tried it and failed... (I used Cocoon/Xalan)

any idea/comment from the XSLT-gurus?

bye
Frank
-