Re: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns...

Subject: Re: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns...
From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 15:47:54 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Sebastian Rahtz

> Paul Tchistopolskii writes:
>  > Well - consider Sebastian's test6.xsl ;-) He is generating
>  > 40K HTML out of 500K of data. I can not belive he'l send
>  > those 500K to the client. I got the impression that he
>  > said that he may do that , but  I think  there is some
>
> I might well deliver the main data file, and a slew of small .xsl
> files to do amusing things with it

I'm sure I still don't understand  you. Let me explain.

What do you mean by saying "I'l deliver the main data file
to the client,  and a slew of .xsl files" ?  The <xsl:stylesheet
directive provides one - to -one binding. I mean you use
this directive to say : "this XML file should be rendered
with this xsl stylesheet".

How can you deliver main data file and a slew of small
.xsl files using <xsl:stylesheet  directive?

Or you are talking about some proprietary-absolutely
non-standard-vendor-specific API which allows you
to associate the same main data file with multiple
xsl stylesheets ? Shame on you, Sebastian, you should
not get your hands dirty with using  the API's which
are not blessed by W3C ( right? ;-).

<OT>
Please forgive me for biting you one more time,
if you can ;-)   I realy respect your oppinion and as I
already told you,  your work with cemeteries is so
influencing that I'm now changing all the scheduling
I had for Ux to support your usecase. I'm also now
thinking  about the very interesting problems XSL
realy has with 'flat' structures. I think biting sometimes
results in the real progress - that means everything
is OK, right?  I wish on your side it is also OK.)
</OT>

Now back to the point. Unfortunately that proprietary API
mentioned above also has some problems and this
makes the senario you are describing to be very much
hypotetical. ( I mean static vs dynamic + caching is
a problem ).

The smart  processing model for complex
XML / XSL client / server apps simply
*does not exist*. Those who are saying
it does exist should have something
to show. In the form of working app, I
mean.

I also think that the *simple*  processing model
supported by 'standards' will hardly fly in the real life.

Sofar  *all* of XSLT client/side/rendering relatively
complex ( other than trivial ) pages which I saw
are simply failing in unpredictable fashion with
some versions of MS IE 5.*

Just today I have tested one recourse which claims
to be based on XSLT client-side rendering. As it
already happened - it crashed my  version of IE 5.*
after 10 random mouse-clicks. In current browsers there
is  some hacking / threads when user clicks multiple
URLs rapidly. I mean the entire browser 'machine' is
not yet prepared for XSL / XML. I can explain this in more
detail, but this will require discussing JavaScript ,  internals
of Mozilla e t.c. et.c. Not too much XSLT here.

Rgds.Paul.