Re: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns...

Subject: Re: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns...
From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:31:12 -0700
| In fact the most efficient practice should be writing tonns of
| usecases in parallel with writing the interpreter itself when
| one part will influence another iteratively. I doubt it happened
| this way - that's why it takes so long with xslt.

Paul,

This is precisely what *did* happen for XSLT. Nearly all
of the XSLT engine implementors on the XSL working group
(following James Clark's impressive lead) produced interim
releases of their XSLT engines, supporting each of the
interim working drafts.

Why did we do it? To get feedback from users like you and
Sebastian and the countless others on this list who were
creating the "tons of use cases" by trying out these "beta"
releases and vocally reporting the feedback. In addition,
most of the vendors (to my knowledge for sure Oracle, IBM/Lotus,
Microsoft, and Novell) had (and still have) many internal
teams at our respective companies that are putting XSLT to
use in their products, spanning the gamut from B2B message
transformation, to data-driven Web/Wireless UI generation,
to various uses revolving around using and sharing common
metadata.

You can be sure that we got (and still do get) a ton of
*additional* usecases and bug reports and performance
improvement suggestions from these demanding internal
teams as well.