Re: Testing for CDATA

Subject: Re: Testing for CDATA
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:37:57 -0600 (MDT)
Jeni Tennison wrote:
> remember that if you're testing the value of a variable that has been set
> using its content, you are testing a *result tree fragment*, not a
> *string*

Quite, um, 'true'. :) I usually assume people are familiar with the data
types, but I'm probably being naive when I do so.

test="$foo" is like test="boolean($foo)". Following the rules for
XPath boolean(), and the XSLT spec's info on result tree fragments, the
test will be true if $foo...
  is a boolean true [this isn't actually stated anywhere, is it?]
  is a string with a non-zero length
  is a non-zero, non-NaN number
  is a node-set with at least one node
  is a result tree fragment

Result tree fragments are true because they always contain a 'root' node.

   - Mike