Memory-saving Prescription for key()? [prompted by - RE: keys: repeated nodes from same key value]

Subject: Memory-saving Prescription for key()? [prompted by - RE: keys: repeated nodes from same key value]
From: John Robert Gardner <John.Robert.Gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:48:32 -0400
As long as we're on about keys . . . .

I recall several comments, including in the venerable tome by Michael, that
key's can be more efficient.  My reason for asking is that I have a repeated
set of information I ask for -- either

	match="//foo[*[contains(name(), 'bar')
	and contains(., 'my_string')]]">

-or-

	match="//foobar[*[contains(name(), 'barfoo')
	and contains(., 'my_string')]]">

In other words, the element type name changes a lot, and the element type name string for
contains(name(), 'whatever') changes between only one or two values, and 'my_string'
always stays the same.

I've got only 5.6 megs of data, and the element type names are HUGE (it's XMI stuff
from the MOF for some class diagrams) . . . my DOM tree is bloating to 150 megs,
and I'm looking to trim down my memory footprint . . . is this a proper diagnosis
for key()? I could make a key for the contains(name(), 'barfoo'), contains(name(),
'bar'), and contains(., 'my_string'), if my guess is right?