Re: Is there an elegant way to copy a DOCTYPE declaration from one doc to another?

Subject: Re: Is there an elegant way to copy a DOCTYPE declaration from one doc to another?
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:02:37 -0400
Eric,

I think the problem is with the XPath Infoset which doesn't include the
prolog and hence doctypedecl. Even if a full fidelity parser (e.g. not SAX)
were to be used, XPath+XSLT would be clueless about what to do with the
information.

This is the XPath data model http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#data-model

What you are doing in your article and what I am doing in XSet is creating
an XML expansion of the XML data model which itself fits into the XPath data
model. XSet expands the entire XML property set into a set of elements and
attributes, including things like PEs, GEs, internal and external subsets,
whitespace, delimiters etc, etc, etc etc.

A good reason this is useful is for this exact case: to allow XPath, and
hence XSLT to operate on information which is otherwise lost.

see: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200008/msg00239.html

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org