Re: Italicizing text, etc.

Subject: Re: Italicizing text, etc.
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 00:48:42 -0600 (MDT)
Charles Muller wrote:
> I am using XML/XSL to publish an on-line dictionary. By using <HTML> within
> the stylesheet I have been able to apply a certain amount of formatting to
> certain blocks of text. But I am wondering if it is possible, using XSL, to
> apply italics, bold, etc, to certain inline words within the dictionary
> entries that are marked up at <foreign>, etc.

See the XPath spec, in the String Functions section. contains(),
substring(), substring-before(), substring-after() will probably all be of
use to you. The use of a named template that recursively calls itself,
passing an ever-shrinking string and ever-growing result tree fragment to
itself with each iteration, may be needed to perform the actual
formatting, if the character data is not in a finite, predictable format.
Without seeing your data and knowing what formatting you want, it's hard
to offer a specific solution.

   - Mike