RE: Line Numbering

Subject: RE: Line Numbering
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:38:46 +0100
Darrin,

>I thank all that have looked at this, but yes Mike you are correct.  My end
>result is an xml document that has line numbers starting from the top of the
>page and incrementing till the end of the document.  I would like to do this
>with a transformation as it is view only, I do not need to serialize it.
>
>1 This would be line one.  It would break and become line two
>2 after sixty charecters. The actual line numbers would not be
>3 included in the sixty charecters.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were after.  I'm afraid I still don't quite
get it.  Are you taking in some XML/HTML source like:

  <head>
    <title>this title is less than 60 characters</title>
  </head>
the 60 character limit.  And I care about where the spaces are as well.</p>

and wanting to output (this must just be plain text because you can't have
a line number before the document element):

1 <html>
2   <head>
3     <title>this title is less than 60 characters</title>
4   </head>
5   <body>
6     <p>But this is a long paragraph that goes on and on and
7 on and on over the 60 character limit.  And I care about
8 where the spaces are as well.</p>
9  ...

Or are you just concerned about, say, paragraphs, and wanting to wrap and
number them, creating XML:

  <head>
    <title>this title is less than 60 characters</title>
  </head>
1 But this is a long paragraph that goes on and on and on
2 and on over the 60 character limit.  And I care about
3 where the spaces are as well.

or something similar?

Cheers,

Jeni