Re: Check if XML tag exists?

Subject: Re: Check if XML tag exists?
From: Oliver Becker <obecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:53:24 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi David,

> Is there a way I can check if a TAG in the XML data exists or not, even
> though the possibly existing TAG will not have any value?
>
> Background is... in this instance everything would be hidden.
>
> <RESTRICTED_FIELD_LIST>
>
>   <HIDE_OFFICE_ALL />
>   <HIDE_HOME_ALL />
>
> </RESTRICTED_FIELD_LIST>
>
> But in this instance ALL the Office info would be hidden while only  the
> Home Address info would be hidden.
>
> <RESTRICTED_FIELD_LIST>
>
>   <HIDE_OFFICE_ALL />
>   <HIDE_HOME_ADDRESS />
>
> </RESTRICTED_FIELD_LIST>
>
> The HIDE_HOME_ALL is no longer in the data.
>
> Can I check to see if a TAG exists or not?

You want to check if an *element* exists or not. :-)
Well, probably the following template does what you want:

<xsl:template match="RESTRICTED_FIELD_LIST">
   <xsl:if test="HIDE_HOME_ALL">
      <!-- Ah, HIDE_HOME_ALL is present -->
      <!-- Do something reasonable ... -->
   </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

Note: if you want to test wether an element is empty or not, you
have to compare with '' or apply the string function:
   <xsl:if test="string(HIDE_HOME_ALL)">
      <!-- HIDE_HOME_ALL is present and not empty -->
   </xsl:if>

Hope that helps,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |