Re: Need some help with an expression...

Subject: Re: Need some help with an expression...
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:15:08 +0100
If I understand your requirement correctly - in particular, that the "9"
is a search parameter - then the following example - which simply adds
to your perfectly correct first attempt - should do what you want.

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:template match="/">
  <out>
    <xsl:value-of
select="/box/category[@name='someType']/header[self/instance='9']/ref"/>
  </out>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Basically what you do is put anything that is only part of the search
path, but not part of the result path, in square brackets. I think of
the square brackets as being like the where claseu of an SQL statement
(but then I think of xpath as being the SQL of tree-structured data...)

Hope this helps -

Francis.

Charles Douthart wrote:

> Hello,
>  I'm fairly new to XPath and hope that you all can help me with a
> problem.
>
> Given an XML structure like the following:
>
> <box>
>    <category name="someType">
>       <header>
>         <self>
>            <host>myhost</host>
>            <instance>9</instance>
>         </self>
>        <ref>
>           <host>thathost</host>
>           <instance>1010101</instance>
>        </ref>
> </header>
>
> And the value of the header instance is 9 (passed from a web page to a
> servlet)
>
> What expression can I use to get the ref elemenent under the same header
> parent? I undserstand enough to produce
> /box/category[@name='someType']/header, but I'm stumped as to how I
> should proceed from there.  I need to test the value of /self/instance
> to find the matching element and then get the ref sibling of the same
> header ancestor of the matching element.
>
> TIA,
> charles douthart
> charles.douthart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Francis Norton.