Re: WYSIWYG XSL Editors

Subject: Re: WYSIWYG XSL Editors
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:26:40 +0100
Jürgen and everyone--

XSL-List is a fine place to discuss XSL editing packages! We can make life
easier for each other by pooling our experience in this area.

FWIW, XMetaL won't be much use as an XSL editor, since for most of its nice
functionalities it relies on a stable DTD, which is impossible for XSLT, at
least in the general case. Also, like many or most structured editors it
has a UI that privileges element content over attribute values, which is
less than ideal for XSLT. (I do think XMetaL is the best tool around for
what it was designed for -- and XMetaL 2.0 is supposed to have better
editing without a DTD.)

I'm still using a jazzed-up text editor (syntax coloring, code clippings,
user-configured tools), though I just downloaded XMLSpy to try. We'll see:
old habits are hard to break.

Cheers,
Wendell