outputting spaces in html table cells

Subject: outputting spaces in html table cells
From: "Ladioss Sopp" <ladioss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 21:59:08 GMT
Hi,

I'm a novice to XSL and my question concerns the following code:

   <xsl:for-each select="listing/item">
    <xsl:sort select="title"/>
   </xsl:for-each>

There is some code before this that generates a table. This is all fine and dandy except

that if the value of "blah" is blank, and I was outputing this to html, then netscape would

not handle blank <td/> fields in an elegant manner because it would shift the next column

over one to replace the blank column. Normally, I would insert an '&nbsp' between each <td>

tag so that netscape would render a space and not ignore the cell, but as you know, '&' is

reserved in xml. I tried &amp;, but that doesn't render a space but rather the real '&'

symbol. So my question is what is the best way to solve this problem? I have searched the

list and found that perhaps I can use the disable-output-escaping="yes" feature/hack, but I

am using the lotus xsl processor and it doesn't quite work, so I'm assuming that this

feature is not available with the processor I'm using. Any ideas?

Thanks!