Re: New document: Requirements for XSLT 1.1

Subject: Re: New document: Requirements for XSLT 1.1
From: Joe English <jenglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:06:49 -0700
<TRA@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I think that the greatest part of this document is that "Language bindings
> > MUST be provided for Java and ECMAScript". It's a shame that script didn't
> > make it into 1.0. I hope that implementors don't think that they can only
> > provide say Java and forget scripting.
> > My 2p worth.
>
> My opinion is that this requirement is too strict, since it basically
> will kill all non-Java based implementations.

I thought that "12.3 Number Formatting" in [XSLT] and
"3.5 Numbers" in [XPATH] already did a pretty good job
of discouraging non-Java-based implementations.

(3.5 isn't *too* onerous for C and C++ on platforms
that support <ieefp.h>, but it's *really* tough to
implement XPath numbers correctly in, say, Haskell.)

--Joe English

  jenglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx