Relative URI (<link> element in HTML result tree)

Subject: Relative URI (<link> element in HTML result tree)
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 15:14:17 -0400
Given that the value of the <link> element's href attribute is a URI relative to that of the HTML document itself. So if a standalone HTML document, say demo.html, includes this line:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="demo.css" />
we can assume that demo.css is on the same path as demo.html itself.

What if the transformation is occurring dynamically -- server-side or (if the client supports it, like IE5) client-side? The result tree "document" doesn't really exist anywhere. Can the URI still be relative? If so, what is it relative *to*? The XML source? The stylesheet?

John E. Simpson          | "I spilled spot remover on my dog.    | He's gone now." (Steven Wright)
simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx      |