RE: XSLT and Text Processing Languages

Subject: RE: XSLT and Text Processing Languages
From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <TRA@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:25:15 +0200
> Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
>
> > I beg to differ.  Given an 150 Mb XML input file, my memory
> usage with Omnimark 5.1 grew to 400 Mb, and I was working
> with a strictly local program.
>
> I'd love to see how much memory XSLT would require for the same file
> :-). Seriously, this sounds like your program is storing much of the
> data in memory for some reason or another. You can always use
> temporary
> files instead of buffers it you want to cut down on the RAM
> requirements, or see if it is really necessary to store all
> this info. A
> simple transform in OmniMark requires very little RAM.

The XSLT processors I tried (Saxon and XT) was around 900 Mb.  Xalan fares better due to more efficient internal representation.

I am going to try to see how the new Perl implementation does when we get some spare time.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen             "...and...Tubular Bells!"
  http://bigfoot.com/~thunderbear