Re: XSLT/XML and HTML Tags in the XML Data

Subject: Re: XSLT/XML and HTML Tags in the XML Data
From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:23:04 -0700
| I am using Oracle's Parser for XML/XSLT to display search results.  We have
| some fields in our database that has HTML tags in the data to emphasize the
| text in the browser.  A good example of this is to have parts of data being
| bold using <STRONG> tag, or displaying information using bullets with <UL>
| tags.  I create XML using this data, and when I send the XML to the XSLT
| processor, I don't get any results back if there are any HTML tags in the
| data.

Would need to see your templates that are selecting the data to format
to help explain this symptom.

| Is there any way I can have the XSLT processor to ignore the HTML Tags?

The typical FAQ in this area is that if you are generating
query results that contain HTML fragments like:

    <DESC>Big Red Apple</DESC>

And you want the HTML "blurb" to showup "verbatim"
in the output:

for this you'd use (assuming the current node is "ROWSET/ROW"):

   <xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes"

This will produce:

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly