RE: Problem with ignoring system ID of Doctype

Subject: RE: Problem with ignoring system ID of Doctype
From: Paul Terray <terray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:32:55 +0100
At 10:09 14/09/00 -0500, you wrote:
And all this is currently mostly moot with respect to XML, since the
XML spec did not define a catalog (unfortunately, in my opinion).  And
since the system id is required, almost all XML processors I know of
use it and general ignore the public id.

That's what I have seen till now. And this is a major pain that many tools (usually not parsers, mostly editors) don't know well about back relative entity inclusion, like "../mydir/myent.ent" (Adept, Stylus being two of them). This means I cannot use the same dtd with Adept (used as a PDF producer) and Omnimark, XSLT (that can use the same, yeah !).

However, Java classes that implement catalogs for XML have been put
into the public domain, and I'm hopeful that more and more XML
processors out there will use them (or the equivalent) to add catalog
support for XML.  Norm's article [2] for both a good description of
the issues and for a pointer to some Java classes that implement both
the TR9401:1997 catalogs and XML Catalogs [3].

I do agree this is useful, but the catalog is not standard yet, and my point here is to unify the DTDs among the tools I use.

paul

Thank you for your help.

Paul, also (what about a XML Paul club :-)

--
Paul Terray - terray@xxxxxxxxxxxx
tel : 01 34 58 70 76