RE: xsl structuring....

Subject: RE: xsl structuring....
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:08:22 +0100
> I am having a structuring problem with displaying the xml
> file in the format
> I want. ...  ... To get
> this if I write another FOR loop, with "asis" as outer loop,
> still I will have no way to determine that a match has been made and that
> it is a new
> element. How much I wish XSL had (actual)variables even
> though it has one. I
> would have used a flag and set it to true if a match was made
> and it would have solved my problem.

You just have to change your way of thinking about the problem. Think about
the output tree you want. For each element you want to construct in the
output tree, think about where it needs to get its input from. Then write a
template rule that generates that element in the output tree, fetching its
input as required. In other words, think "how do I construct this part of
the output", not "what should I do with this part of the input".

Mike Kay