RE: ANN: XSLBench - XSLT Processor Benchmark

Subject: RE: ANN: XSLBench - XSLT Processor Benchmark
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:07:59 +0100
Kevin Jones writes:
 > different JVM options over the next day or so. Perhaps the next stage is a
 > XSLT performance competition?

It's hard to start a competition until all the processors actually
implement the spec. If I write a stylesheet that solves a problem
efficiently using keys, I cannot run it using eg XT. Someone could
rewrite the thing without using keys, but then it becomes a
programming competition.

Of course, I agree that people should be allowed to tweak the
*environment* of a test, by compiling stylesheets, changing memory
setups or whatever, but allowing people to rewrite a stylesheet so
that it exercises the best features of their implementation seems
mildly pointless. If the conclusion is "product XXX recommends you
not to use  xsl:number because it is implemented badly", then I am
depressed. Anyway, a judicious set of discrete tests will reveal that
for us.

Sebastian