Re: Fixed-length String Output

Subject: Re: Fixed-length String Output
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:33:52 +0100
Deirdre,

A very similar question came up just recently. You should check out XPath's
string-handling functions.

Something like
<xsl:value-of select="substring(concat($string, '            '), 1, 12))"/>

always gives you a string twelve characters long, either the first twelve
characters of $string, or $string padded out with spaces. Variables can be
also be useful to make things easier to read, reuse and maintain -- for
example
<xsl:variable name="spacex12" select="'            '"/>
and then
<xsl:value-of select="substring(concat($string, $spacex12), 1, 12))"/>

Have fun,
Wendell