RE: XSLBench - XSLT Processor Benchmark

Subject: RE: XSLBench - XSLT Processor Benchmark
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:15:55 +0100
> To answer questions I was having over XSLT processor
> performance I have
> built a small benchmark of some of the main XSLT processors.
> You can find the results at,
>
> 	http://www.tfi-technology.com/xml/xslbench.html

Interesting. Some observations:

Saxon definitely benefits greatly from use of JDK 1.3

You may not have entirely eliminated Java start-up costs from the timing; if
you want to simulate measurement of a continuously-running server, it would
be best to discard the first three runs.

If I want to maximize my scores on this, I will do something to optimize the
very inefficient use of //X. (This probably wouldn't be a bad idea,
actually, since I suspect these examples aren't the only ones to misuse this
construct).

The benchmark will give an enormous boost to any processor that caches
source document trees in memory, because the same source document is
processed repeatedly. I decided not to do this in Saxon, because a URI now
might not give the same content as the same URI half an hour previously. But
it would be better not to expose the benchmark to this possible inaccuracy.

> P.S. I have a personal interest in one of the processors,
> Napa, which is noted in the results.

Many of us have found that the last 10% of conformance can cost dearly in
performance. But good luck to your efforts!

Mike Kay