Re: DOM and SAX???

Subject: Re: DOM and SAX???
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:34:44 -0400
At 11:11 AM 10/05/2000 +0000, Farhan Sarwar wrote:
Well can anyone tell that where do we use DOM and SAX as far as XML is concerned can't ew do the way they do by means of an XSL.....

By scripting/programming the DOM, or using SAX to process XML as a stream, you can do far more with XML than you can with XSLT. They are lower-level interfaces to a document structure. XSLT processors will typically use DOM- or SAX-like processing themselves. So your question is similar to "Why would we use assembly language to develop an application, if we've got C++?"

If all you need is the higher-level language's features, then you don't need to worry too much about the lower-level languages.

XSLT may provide, say, 80-90% of the functionality most people may need for 80-90% of their applications. Many people use a mixture of both, though, when they find that "pure XSLT" just won't let them do one thing or the other.