RE: XSL attribute expression

Subject: RE: XSL attribute expression
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 11:28:00 +0100
Dwight,

>I am using MSXML v3. Another person suggested I should use XSLT instead of
>XSL. Is the following code invalid, old style, or just a bug/limitation in
>MSXML's XSL processor?
>
>> <job job-id="100" url="http://www.apago.com/jobs/1"; />
>> <xsl:template match="job">
>> 	<DIV>
>> 	Job <xsl:value-of select="@job-id" />
>> 	<A HREF="{@url}">URL</A>
>> 	</DIV>
>> </xsl:template>

The attribute value template (the thing in curly braces within the HREF
attribute value - "{@url}") is perfectly valid XSLT 1.0.  MSXML2 couldn't
interpret attribute value templates (this limitation is one of the
distinctions between MSXML2's XSL dialect and XSLT1.0), but
MSXML3(September) (which supports XSLT1.0) does so fine.

As Evan said, the fact that you're having problems with it implies that
while you've installed MSXML3, you haven't installed it in replace mode.
When you 'install' MSXML3 using the installer that comes with it, all that
happens is that a .dll gets placed in your system folder.  You need to run
'xmlinst.exe', which is available as a separate download from MSDN (or with
the installer, if you have the July version), to get IE5 to actually *use*
that .dll by default.

This is covered in the alternative MSXML FAQ at
http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/msxml-faq.htm.

Cheers,

Jeni

Jeni Tennison