How to highlight arbitrary elements depending on xsl:param?

Subject: How to highlight arbitrary elements depending on xsl:param?
From: Jakob <jakob@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 01:24:48 +0200 (MEST)
I have an xsl stylesheet which I'd like to use for plain display of documents
as well as for display of documents containing search hits.  In the latter
case I'd like to highlight elements containing a hit, by outputting some basic
html of the kind <b style='background-color: gold'> and </b> immediately inside
the element.

I know about the GI of the hit element through the value of an <xsl:param
name='matchElement'/>.

What I can't figure out is how to avoid writing <xsl:if> clauses for all the
many dozens of elements of the DTD.  Surely, there must be a way to just write
on template that fits all?! [Maybe it's just too late.]

Oh, the same problem exists for the actual match value which I retrieve from
<xsl:param name='matchValue'>, and which I would like to highlight, too.

Thank you for any advice you can give,
Jakob.

PS: Please cc me, I'm on the digest list.

---------
Jakob Fix.