Bringing HTML through

Subject: Bringing HTML through
From: "Ian Sparks" <isparks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:22:26 +0100
I posted this one to the MSXML newsgroup some time back but so far haven't
had a response. I'm pleased I signed up to this list since there seem to be
some real experts here (thanks guys!).

Hopefully I'll be able to start contributing rather than just asking
questions soon.

I have a problem with bringing XML documents through from a database.

I want to store the following in my database record :

"<i>Hello</i>"

I need to pull this data out, put it into a DOM tree and then pass it to the
XSL filter for processing. I want to get the same structure carried through
into my resulting HTML file (so "Hello" appears in italics).

Problem #1 : As soon as I load the text "<i>Hello</i>" as
the text of a node it gets transformed into &lt;i;&gt;Hello... style. Not
what I want.

Problem #2 : Lets say I put this data into a CDATA section to carry it
through, I still can't work out how to pull the contents of that section out
and have it carried through to my HTML without it getting transformed into
&lt;i;&gt;Hello...

For security reasons I might want to limit the tags that can be
carried-through in this way (maybe allowing italic, bold, HREFs etc but
disallowing script or anything potentially malicious).

All insight appreciated. I suspect xsl:copy is involved but I can't work it
out!

- Ian Sparks.