RE: MSXML Sept. release format-number bug!

Subject: RE: MSXML Sept. release format-number bug!
From: Eckenberger Axel <Extern.Eckenberger@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:25:23 +0200
This is not a bug but increased conformance !!!

The XSL Spec sais about the number format, amongst other things:

<Quote name="format-number"
href="http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#function-format-number"; note="added
comment">
The format pattern string is in the syntax specified by the JDK 1.1
DecimalFormat <!-- see quote 'Number.BNF' below --> class.
</Quote>

This quote references

<Quote name = "Number.BNF"
href="http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/api/java.text.DecimalFormat.
html">
The following shows the structure of the pattern.
 pattern    := subpattern{;subpattern}
 subpattern := {prefix}integer{.fraction}{suffix}
 prefix     := '\\u0000'..'\\uFFFD' - specialCharacters
 suffix     := '\\u0000'..'\\uFFFD' - specialCharacters
 integer    := '#'* '0'* '0'
 fraction   := '0'* '#'*
 Notation:
  X*       0 or more instances of X
  (X | Y)  either X or Y.
  X..Y     any character from X up to Y, inclusive.
  S - T    characters in S, except those in T
</Quote>

As you can see from the BNF there is no scientific representation, so the
result you got using the earlier release was wrong and now the parser
conforms with the spec.

Axel