Re: How to distinguish b/n a scalar and a node-set having a single text node?

Subject: Re: How to distinguish b/n a scalar and a node-set having a single text node?
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:13:34 -0600 (MDT)
Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
> I am trying to determine whether the value of a parameter is a scalar
> or a node-set, and to do so without using extension functions (I
> consider node-set() to be "standard", as it will be in XSLT 1.1).
>
> The only problemetic case is:
> How to determine whether what seems to be a node-set having a single
> text node is actually a node set or whether it is a scalar (the value
> of the text node).

A parameter is going to be one of the 4 object types in XPath: boolean,
number, string, node-set, or the object type introduced in XSLT: result
tree fragment. There is no concept of 'scalar'.

I don't think there is a way to test for the type of object. The few
operations that are permissible on any type of object do not provide
helpful info.

   - Mike