parsing and translating xml:lang attribute

Subject: parsing and translating xml:lang attribute
From: "Matthias O. Will" <m.o.will@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:01:51 -0400 (EST)
Hi,

some time ago, I sent the following question, and I am reposting it because
I haven't found a solution for this problem yet ... Any help is greatly
appreciated ...

My input DTD defines an element Language with an attribute xml:lang as
follows:

> <!ELEMENT Language EMPTY>
>     <!ATTLIST Language xml:lang NMTOKEN #REQUIRED>

I have an example XML file conforming to this DTD, which has an instance of
this tag as follows:

> <Language xml:lang="ge"/>

but Xalan complains while parsing and produces the following error message:

> Parser error: Attribute "xml:lang" is required and must be specified for
> element type "Language"

I have no clue why the XML is not parsed correctly. Any takers?

The second issue is that the values for this attribute are conforming to
the two-digit language abbreviations according to ISO 639, but my target
DTD uses three-digit language strings according to ISO 639-2 (e. g. 'de'
would be translated into 'ger'). I do have a list of both, but I wonder how
to technically best achieve the mapping using XSL.

Again, I would greatly appreciate any help on those issues!
Thanks for any insight on this,
Matt
--
Matthias O. Will (m.o.will@xxxxxx)                       <><
Institute of Computer Science,       University of Freiburg