XML document validation using XDR Schema and MSXML.

Subject: XML document validation using XDR Schema and MSXML.
From: "Gale, Paul" <GaleP@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:50:39 -0500
Hi,

I have a question about what it means to validate an XML document against an
associated Schema. In my case I am using the September 2000 MSXML parser and
an XDR Schema.

I am using an inline schema in my XML document. Using the example document
shown below, how does the element <ROOT> get validated as it must be
declared before the schema definition is seen? Incidentally when I add some
arbitrary element <dummy> to the document inside <Msg> the document
validation still succeeds even though there is no definition of <dummy> in
the inline schema. Why does the validation succeed? I'd expect the
validation to fail in this case but then I suppose the behaviour is
consistent with the fact the no complaint was raised about <ROOT> either.
What's going on here and what is the flaw (if any) in my reasoning? Is this
a bug in MSXML?

The following document is used as an example:

<?xml version=1.0"?>
<ROOT>
   <Schema name="mySchema"
           xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-data"
           xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes">
	<!-- schema contents -->
   </Schema>
   <Msg xmlns:FOO="x-schema:#mySchema">
	<MyElements>
		<!-- other child elements -->
	</MyElements>
	<!-- no such element definition in the schema for <dummy> -->
	<Dummy/>
   </Msg>
</ROOT>

thanks,