Re: Paging using XSLT

Subject: Re: Paging using XSLT
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:54:04 -0400 (EST)
| Wouldn't it be easier to simply paginate the
| XML before it gets to the translator? ie.
| throw windows of XML data at the translator
| and translate for each page?

Indeed. I've been out to several customers who've tried
to do this "paging" in one way or another with XSLT. The least
efficient way I've observed is a customer who was
querying 25,000 rows of database data into XML
(using the Oracle XML SQL Utility) and then using
top-level stylesheet parameters and <xsl:if> elements
in their stylesheet to "filter" the data to emit
only rows N through M of those 25000 onto the browser.
(Where M-N is usually in the 10-15 range).

Yikes.

Much more efficient is to, as you suggest, query-up/pass-in
only the 15 rows in the current "window" you want to format
and not to use the in-memory filtering capability of XSLT
as a replacement for the fast indexes that a database might
be able to use to quickly return just the rows you want
to "see" on the current page.

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/