Re: using <,>,&& in XSL

Subject: Re: using <,>,&& in XSL
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:41:24 -0700 (MST)
Subin Thampi wrote:
> here begin the problem. I am not able to use the
> <,>,&& symbols in XSL which is very much required when
> using  loops like for(i=0;i<10;i++) i Jscript.  when i
> enquired abt it i got the suggestion  that if we use
> &lt; instead of < then there is no problem. but still
> i am getting an error(ie,  } is missing.).

The XSLT spec says that if you are using the html output method (are you?)
that the content of certain elements that are likely to contain "script
data" should be emitted with escaping disabled. So you can have &lt; in
the stylesheet and it will come out as < in that section of the HTML, as
long as it's in a certain element. Even if it does come out as &lt;, there
shouldn't be any problem. A missing '}' could indicate another problem.

Since you mention Jscript I assume you are using IE & MSXML. Have you
tried using the 'View XSL Output' context menu option so you can see the
HTML+Jscript that is being generated? You can install this option by going
to http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/webtechnology/xml/iexmltls.asp,
downloading the tools and following the instructions (right-click on the
.inf files and choose 'Install'). That should help you in debugging.

> i also tried <!DOCTYPE [<!ENTITY lt "&#38;#60;">]> but still
> no use.

You shouldn't need to do this.

> Also <xsl:when> ,<xsl:if> etc is also not working.
> when these tags are used there is no error shown but
> the output is a blank screen.

You need to show some sample code to explain your problem, because it
sounds like there is more than one problem in your XSLT.

   - Mike