RE: Efficient Stylesheets for reordering

Subject: RE: Efficient Stylesheets for reordering
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:24:26 -0000
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> I would like to have some discussion, at the semantic
> level, on identifying
> a subset of the XSLT language that can be process using a DFS approach.
> Can a useful subset of the language be identified.

Early version of Saxon attempted to do this, but I eventually came to the
conclusion that  it wasn't feasible within the XSLT processing model, and
needed effectively to be a different language. The reason is that if you
only get the chance to see each node of the input once, you need to be able
to remember what you've seen, so you need a capability for updatable working
storage. This isn't needed in XSLT's processing model, where the output is
described as a function of the input.

Mike Kay