Re: Q.) Encode URL inside HTML Anchor Tag.

Subject: Re: Q.) Encode URL inside HTML Anchor Tag.
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:47:26 -0700 (MST)
On Nov 17, I wrote:
> (The URL-encoding algorithm is, roughly, replace certain reserved
> characters with their UTF-8 sequences, expressed as '%xx' for
> each octet, where xx is the hexadecimal representation of the
> octet; with the option of using '+' instead of '%20' for spaces.

Somehow I came to this conclusion after researching some related issues,
but I guess it's not quite accurate. The algorithm doesn't specify what
character set to use for non-ASCII characters; it just says it depends on
the scheme. The http scheme is described in the RFC for HTTP/1.1, and it
does not address the issue at all.

There are situations where HTML user agents are recommended to use UTF-8
in URIs, but this is not anything one can count on for URIs in general. I
posted more about this on xml-dev today, with references. See

   - Mike